A simple program that's interactive, exciting, a little silly and a great introduction into the art of telling stories and drawing for the little ones.
- 45 minutes of everything in the previous program.
- With an expanded explanation on the original idea for Monsters in Manhattan and the process on how it became a monstrous series.
- Greater detail on the process of writing a story.
- Reading from both Monsters in Manhattan and Monsters in Manhattan 2.
- A step by step sample of drawings from concept to completed illustration.
- Reading from my upcoming book Bruce the Spruce.
- A focus on having a dream and how both big and even small dreams can lead to amazing accomplishments!.
- 30 minute session
- Quick introduction to my life as an artist and writer.
- My childhood drawings
- Reading of Everybody Wake Up!! which they get to yell along with. Then I read Halloween Boy and the Christmas Kid and have the students search for the hidden
- There's always time for questions.
A slightly deeper program that includes interactive activities which highlight all the various skills involved in creating a picture book.
- 40 minute session
- Introduction to what illustrators do, how I got started and the creative path I have followed shown through my real childhood drawings, professional career and publishing business.
- I'll show how an old T-shirt inspired an entire career.
- Explanation of where ideas come from.
- Demonstration of how easy it is to create a character.
- Discussion on the importance of rewriting and rewriting to make a story perfect!
- Reading of Everybody Wake Up!! with lots of yelling.
- Examples of how I create an illustration from sketch to finish.
- Its magic! Or maybe a pen?
- Reading from Monsters in Manhattan.
- They've got questions, and I have answers.
An even more elaborate presentation
designed to show older children how easy, how much fun and how possible it is for anyone to create their own book.
A detailed program that shows students that are both artistically inclined as well as thos that are not, that creativity is in everyone and applies to every possible career from illustrator and animator, all the way to nursing or mechanic.
- A background of my career, as well as a detailed explanation into what is necessary to create books with a focus on how it is entirely possible for
students to create their own books now.
- Technology has removed all limitations, and they can publish tomorrow.
- Creativity as the cure for all that ails you. Sad? Create. Worried? Create.
Angry? Create. Writing, drawing, sculpting, music, dance and many other
forms of creativity are the solution to most of life's problems.
- Detailed background on forming ideas, growing ideas, and eventually
navigating the 'Arc" to write your story.
- Got problems? Me too. How setbacks, illnesses and mistakes are normal
and can be used to fuel incredible ideas.
- Introduction to my middle-grade novel, The Final 5.